Bienvenidos

guten Appetit

Monday, February 15, 2010

El primer día en Lima

¡Hola!

I arrived in Lima around midnight last night and after waiting for 2 hours in line at inmigrations, I finally made it to Joel, who graciously picked me up and brought me to my first couch surfer host, Oscar (who has yet to arrive--right now I´m living with his house sitter/cleaning lady Señora Martha). Joel came back today and he showed me around town all day long. We went to a resaurant where I had ceviche (a traditional dish with raw fish and seafood meat that´s cooked by the acid of a lemon with lots of spices) as well as some kind of beef dish with lentils and rice, and this awesome drink made from a jungle plant, whose name I promised not to forget, but did. We walked around for hours, purchased a cell phone for me, visited la plaza de armas and la plaza de San Martin (the liberator of Peru from Spain) and went to a few parks and churches. Once I actually live here, I will be taking tours of the churches and surrounding area where I can really dig deep into the touristy information. Today I was just so grateful to be able to get a feel for this crazy city and find out what I do and don´t want to see. This city is full of life and people who are outside for the sake of being outside. The weather is beautifully hot and humid, but I´m preferring it over snow! On our way back to Joel´s house, we picked up a German couple that is currently travelling through the continent, after working in Ecuador for 6 months. They´re spending the night at Joel´s and I will probably meet up with them again tomorrow.




These pictures, again, are in no particular order



Bones in the catacombes

Pretty colorful houses on the mountain


Perro peruviano.



The churches here are full of colorful and bringt shrines.






Iglesia de San Francisco.







Basicila Catedral de Lima.




Plaza de armas. The fountain is original!




Remnants of the old town wall and Joel







Francisco Pizarro, conquistador de Peru






I saw the president of Peru, Alan Garcia Pérez, on my first day here. Mind you, I haven´t seen the president/chancellor of my own countries.

We arrived very late in his speech, but he ended it by saying that tremendous efforts are being made to protect our environment etc.

The fact that it has been continuously raining in the eastern part of Peru is not only draining the country of vital fiscal income through tourism, but should really alert people about climate change. This is becoming really scary indeed.



Lots of indigenous people





Palazo presidential.






This is a really pretty covered alley, unfortunately the picture doesn´t do it much justice. Just know that it was very impressive in person.



Tomorrow I shall figure out where I´m going on Wednesday and hopefully store my luggage in Miraflores.



















































No comments:

Post a Comment