Bienvenidos

guten Appetit

Friday, February 5, 2010

Berkeley, California

After my adventure in Novato, Kristina took me to Berkeley to look at crazy hippies and shops and people smoking marijuana in the streets. It was gorgeous and slightly overwhelming. I've seen similar stores in New Hampshire (Ganesh Imports, Water Monkey etc.) but never have I seen so many of them in one spot and so many homeless people--whom I presume to be original hippies--sitting in the street, talking to themselves, or shouting out idealistic schemes about the people uprising.
They've probably been in the streets of Berkeley since the 60's and haven't made it out since. Sad.
We walked through an awesome t-shirt store and stepped onto the Cal campus which was lovely and filled with Eukalyptus trees, flyers for good causes, and asian students.
On the way back we took the Richmond Bridge and got a good close up glimpse of the San Quentin State prison, the oldest prison in the state, and the only one administering the death penalty (now only by lethal injection, not gas chamber anymore).
We also stopped at REI (Recreational Equipment Inc.) to pick up a nifty net cage for my backpack that allows me to protect all my belongings and chain them to something immovable. The peace of mind should be worth the money.


Cable grown inside the tree:Richmond Bridge
The infamous San Quentin State Prison

Old performance building. Too bad it's all decrepit.
UC Berkeley Campus.
Witty.
Beautiful mural.
Awesome hipster record store.
Crazy pizza crepes?
Plate mosaics.


The T-shirt Orgy.



My new pack net.


No comments:

Post a Comment